Senior superlatives set to be announced shortly

Dorene Zajec

At the 2020 Senior Banquet, Ryan Carlile and Ayden Gerome win the superlative for “Most CLE Team Spirit.”

Sarah Carlile, Staff Writer

From biggest caffeine addict to worst driving lot parker, Mayfield High School’s senior superlatives are something students are excited to vote on.

Student council president Mykenna Roy and other class officers select the superlative categories. “Most are just silly, lighthearted titles that people can laugh at and look back 20 years from now and boast,” Roy said.

In addition, Roy and the class officers publish the nominees to be voted on by the class as a whole via Google Form, which are expected to be sent within the next two weeks. Roy said, “No one can win more than one [category], so it opens the door for multiple people to be chosen for different superlatives.

“We were also thinking of creating a self-nomination form, where students can nominate themselves for certain superlatives that we may not have chosen them for. All names will be placed on a large ballot for everyone to vote on,” Roy said.

Senior Shelby Segall thinks it’d be nice for the entire senior class to be able to nominate someone. She said, “The council could organize a Google Form to be sent out to the senior class but instead of giving us multiple choice answers to choose from, they could make the form a fill-in-the-blank and allow us to give whatever name we thought deserving of that superlative.

“It’d be pretty cool if they also let us pick one superlative to give out as well— like a mystery category or something,” Segall said.

Senior Allison Wank likes how superlatives give people one last memory for seniors to remember their peers. She said, “It just gives you a clearer idea of who everyone is as they’re kind of personal.”

Segall feels that superlatives can be very validating. “People put in a lot of effort into the things they’re passionate about— looks, humor, kindness, whatever— so getting that award for it is always nice and satisfactory,” she said.

In previous years, superlative winners have won sashes or certificates that state what superlative they won. Roy said, “This year we were even considering coffee mugs or mini-trophies to give people to keep! We’re still not entirely sure, but sashes are a definite keeper!”

Wank also believes it’d be nice to not have to give superlatives to just one boy and one girl, but rather two of the same gender. “Just whoever gets the most votes of all four nominees,” Wank said.

Roy’s favorite aspect of the superlatives is how people react to their classmates’ view of them. “I feel like it gives people a sense of importance and belonging in such a big class of people. For those who don’t end up winning a superlative, they see their friends’ titles and react in great ways,” she said.

Segall finds the superlatives as one last hurrah to celebrate the senior class in style, but also believes it could be improved upon. She said, “I think it could be a little more inclusive, but you also have to keep in mind we’re a class of 330 kids, so I get why they can’t exactly get everyone.”

Roy believes the superlatives are meant to be a fun way for kids to celebrate their personalities in high school. Roy said, “I think it heightens our sense of unity right before we have to leave each other, and it really helps people come together and reminisce on the good parts of high school.”