Students, teachers see differences with homework in new schedule

Sophomore+Juliana+Denis+works+on+her+English+essay+for+homework.+

Jessica Lieberman

Sophomore Juliana Denis works on her English essay for homework.

Jessica Lieberman, Staff Writer

As the first quarter comes to an end, the issue of homework has been a controversial topic for teachers and students with the eight-period schedule.

Michael Hughes, the AP World teacher, does not see much difference in his classes regarding homework and the new schedule. He said, “Now the reason why [I say this] is that I don’t often have students do something really big for the next day. I usually give students a couple of days to get their work done.”

Sophomore Nathan Jurcisek is getting help from family in order to finish his homework. He said, “They are always making sure my assignments are done and in. When I need help studying for a test with flashcards, they are always there for me.”

Jurcisek believes it is important to have a plan to ensure all his homework gets done on time. He said, “I have a notebook and I write down all my homework which I normally just go by periods. So I’ll start with the first period if I have homework, and I’ll just travel out through the day and get it all done through that.”

According to Hughes, time management is crucial for students to get their work done. He said, “I think they should take advantage of time in class, so if a teacher gives them time to get started on something, try to use that time. Take advantage of study hall and get things done then.”

Because of his homework load, Jurcisek’s sleep schedule has been reduced. He said. “I’m up a lot later than I was last year. [I have] a lot more homework, but I am still getting everything done.”

Hughes thinks that the schedule should balance out the same as last year, but in a different way. He said, “The block schedule was I’m not gonna see you for two days, so here’s two days worth of homework. With seeing you everyday, the amount of homework that you should be getting, should be half of what you would normally get when you had block.”

Hughes believes the way some teachers are planning their course is half of what it used to be for block. He said, “It’s just we see each other every day, so it used to be like on a Monday, do [questions] 1-10 and I’ll see you Wednesday. Now it’s Monday, you get [questions] 1-5 done and Tuesday, you get [questions] 6-10 done.”

The first quarter officially ends on Friday, Oct. 28, which is a Teacher Records Day.