The Paw Print

Show choir prepares for new season

Brian Fancher, bottom right, plays the piano and helps his students warm up for rehearsal.  The Limited Edition show choir performs for the first time on Oct. 16.

Brian Fancher, bottom right, plays the piano and helps his students warm up for rehearsal. The Limited Edition show choir performs for the first time on Oct. 16.

Christina Rufo

Christina Rufo

Christina Rufo, Staff Writer

The members of Limited Edition (LTD) have begun rehearsals for this year’s upcoming shows and competitions.

Their first performance will take place at the fall choir concert on Oct. 16 at 7pm.

The theme follows a rags-to-riches story, showcasing a young man’s rise to fame.

Larry Braun, the assistant director and choreographer, shares the responsibility of choosing the theme for each show.

He said, “The story begins with a young musician playing ‘Rewrite the Story’ on guitar in a subway station where he is discovered. The story moves through transitions including the songs ‘Something Big’ and ‘Nothing Can Stop me Now.’”

The story moves forward showcasing the musician, played by Nathan Muhlbach, and his journey from having nothing, to becoming a big star.

Rehearsals take place on Sundays and Saturdays, but may vary as competitions grow closer.

Brian Fancher, the director and vocal leader of LTD, chooses the songs and theme each year.

Fancher said, “Larry and I get together and brainstorm ideas to try to come up with a general theme. Sometimes we take a certain song that sounds really great, and we try to build a show around that.”

After the music is chosen, Braun begins to plan the choreography for the vocals, as well as arranging the costumes.

Braun said, “The show starts with casual street clothes, but transitions into a costume change where it becomes more glitzy with sequined jackets and formal dresses.”

Muhlbach has been a member of LTD for all four years of high school and said he’s excited for this year’s idea of a build-up to success because it’s interesting.

After all the planning is done, Fancher first rehearses vocal with the students, and the group later adds in the choreography with Braun to piece the show together.

According to Fancher, adding the choreography to the music can be a challenge, but the earlier the vocals are learned makes is easier to bring out the full sound even with the choreography.

Braun’s goal for LTD this year is to bring back a trophy from competition as a way to award the students for their hard work and effort.

According to Muhlbach, the time and commitment that goes on behind the scenes comes to life on stage.

Muhlbach said, “Everyone should come see the show because we have put in a lot of hard work, making it entertaining and an overall great show.”

LTD will be competing against other schools during the Show Choir Festival later this year as well as making debuts at the seasonal choir concerts.

Fancher said, “We have a great group of kids to perform, setting our talent apart from the rest. That combined with Larry’s choreography is uniquely crafted compared to the others.

After LTD’s first performance on Oct 16, they will continue to perfect the show for two back to back show choir festivals on Nov. 17 and 20, as well as their three major competitions in February.

1 Comment

One Response to “Show choir prepares for new season”

1. Joe Kliethermes on October 3rd, 2018 10:09 pm

Honestly, I’ve read what your repertoire will be, and I really want to see a video of the whole show.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Show choir prepares for new season

School News

Mayfield pays tribute to Stevie Grieshammer

• Show choir prepares for new season

School News

Local man trespasses school, causes lockdown

• Show choir prepares for new season

School News

Breakfast cart rolls into MHS

• Show choir prepares for new season

School News

Students keep busy with writing college essays

• Show choir prepares for new season

School News

Students find difficulty with Schoology, administration remains optimistic

• Show choir prepares for new season

School News

Self-paced classes going well

• Show choir prepares for new season

School News

Counseling department welcomes new students at annual breakfast

• Show choir prepares for new season

School News

Popular teacher obsessed with band

• Show choir prepares for new season

School News

Q&A: Special education teacher plans wedding for 2019

• Show choir prepares for new season

School News

Superintendent, others agree Chromebooks worth the investment

The Official Newspaper of Mayfield High School
Show choir prepares for new season