Students’ skipping class affects learning

Javonna Bates, Mayfield Yearbook Staff

A freshman visits her locker instead of being in class.

Kyra Horvat, Guest Writer

Students skip classes more frequently than usual, and it’s becoming a problem at Mayfield High School.

Principal Jeffrey Legan oversees the school’s policies and explained students may be skipping class for different reasons, but those reasons determine how the school treats it.

He said, “Maybe [they skip because] they’re bored with the class, maybe they’re dealing with some social/emotional issues, so every situation is different, but for the most part, if a student is skipping class, I have to find out the root cause.”

Assistant principal Jane Perry, who also handles the enforcement of such rules, agrees that students may have viable circumstances for skipping class.

She said, “Whether a student is trying to avoid or escape a certain class, maybe they’re struggling with something, content or in their personal life. We see that and try to touch base with the student beyond the consequences, and look at why that behavior is occurring and what needs to happen so that student knows that they have somebody to connect with, and count on, to make better choices.”

The guidance department feels students miss the collaboration when class is skipped.according to Legan, the staff wants all students to be able to be a part of the class, feel engaged, and receive important information, while adding to the culture of the class.

The guidance department also estimates about 70 students skip class a day. Perry said, “Be true to your responsibilities, your obligations, and where you’re supposed to be. Being accounted for, in terms of safety, is important so that we know where our students are when they’re here on campus.”

Guidance counselor Mia Bourdakos, has seen students skip class since she was an English teacher and she understands the real dangers of skipping. She said, “The adults in the building are accountable for the kids in the building, so if you don’t know where they are, if there’s a crisis or a threat, then that could be a real problem.”

For reference, sophomore Ethan Barnes admits he’s skipped study hall a few times. He said, “Maybe [I skipped] once a month, to once every other week.”

Mayfield offers classes like self paced or online college credit plus (CCP), which gives students flexibility in their schedules. Legan said, “I think classes that have a little more flexibility [are more likely to be skipped].”

Perry feels students can miss information when skipping class then wind up having to catch up when in class. “If you’re not in the classroom, you’re not gonna receive the instruction. Then there’s the catch up of trying to get the work made up and get notes or anything else that was missed,” said Perry.

When skipping classes like study hall, time is missed that could be used for homework. Barnes said, “It affected my grades because I would slack off instead of doing the work I needed to do.”

To prevent skipping class, the school district has brainstormed some ideas. “We are looking at for next year, getting ID badges for our kids, and they will have to scan in, in certain areas, so that will automatically go to Infinite Campus. That takes away any teacher error, because we know how busy the teachers are, and hopefully that will help prevent some of this,” said Legan.

When a student skips, the cause of skipping affects the punishment. Perry said, “A first offense for a class cut would be a Saturday School, but if we see a pattern of behaviors then that could go up to additional Saturday Schools or in school suspensions.”

Bourdakos examines the psychology behind why a student may be skipping class.

She said, “As counselors, it’s common to see kids who are skipping class consistently or avoiding class and then get behind. Then they’re anxiety spikes because they have to catch up, and because they’re anxious it makes it even worse, and they want to avoid it again. So you put yourself in a really negative loop.”

The school’s current system in use works so that when a student has an unexcused absence, they get a green Saturday School slip the next day.

According to Bourdakos with the new system we started last year, if a student has an unresolved absence, they receive that green sheet right away. Then that student knows, they had an absence from class, and they have the ability in their power to remedy it.

This system gives students the responsibility for their own attendance according to Perry. She said, “So the idea was that it’s empowering students to be taking care of their own absence issues, for the class to class piece, and so it was more effective and immediate.”