Clubs join forces to raise big bucks

Club advisers Kerry Rutigliano and Lacy Long-Goldberg have been promoting the fundraiser district-wide. The raffle prize options are $100 to Capital Grille or Chick-Fil-A, as well as $50 to Bibibop, Starbucks, Cheesecake Factory, Poke Fresh, Pulp, Bath and Body Works, or Target. Sophomore class president Christine Rocco believes this fundraiser will greatly help families in need. She said, “We normally do these gift card fundraisers a lot and normally we sell a lot of tickets.”

Kelsey Mize, Staff Writer

Ninth and tenth-grade student council, Smile Club, and MAC Scholars are hosting a Holiday Haul fundraiser this week.

Students and staff are encouraged to buy their tickets ($5 for 3 chances) until 3pm on Monday, Dec. 20.

Sophomore student council adviser Lacy Long-Goldberg’s main goal is to get as much money for both the underclassmen and City Mission, a shelter and resource area for people who are struggling with homelessness. “The reason we decided to do it together is the more people, the more involvement, and ideally the more profits that we will be able to make and to share amongst the groups,” she said.

Long-Goldberg has high strides for the fundraiser’s outcome, as she trusts the students to be diligent and communicative throughout this event. She said, “We are hoping to raise a significant amount so that we can do a service for the Greater Cleveland area.”

Sophomore student council president Christine Rocco hopes to do better than their previous holiday fundraiser in 2020. She said, “We are hoping to raise, I believe, $6,000. We are trying to get 20 sales per person because we want to help raise money.”

Smile Club president Hannah Gross started this collaboration alongside club adviser Kerry Rutigliano because they both think raffle fundraisers are effective. Gross said, “Raffles are something that a lot of people enjoy because they can get something out of it if they win. I hope it will get some momentum going for the rest of the school year, and I think this fundraiser, in particular, is a really good way to do so.”

With more people involved, Long-Goldberg believes that this fundraiser will bring a different perspective to the students participating. She said, “I hope they will take away that when you have a clear goal in mind and a clear step towards reaching that goal, that you can do something that is seemingly difficult.”

Gross has realized that the impact of COVID-19 has put a damper on certain fundraisers. She said, “As a club, our main goal is to spread positivity and make people’s days better if we can. We wanted to partner with these clubs because their objectives are very similar to ours and can make a greater impact together even with the fundraiser restrictions.”

Through the positive effect this has had on the Mayfield community, Rocco wishes to do more fundraisers like this in the near future. “I hope we do more interacting with the community in a way where it’s not as much raising money as it is donating to charities or like the toy drive we did earlier this year. Not that many people interacted with it but it was a good idea – even gathering clothes for the homeless – something that helps the community,” she said.

Long-Goldberg cherishes the fact that this will truly leave a mark on these students’ lives through the dedication they have put into this fundraiser so far. She said, “It’s a big task, but with so many people involved and a clear message and steps for how to encourage participation, I think we will be able to reach it. That to me is one of the greatest benefits here: Seeing how people can come together and do something big.”