Italian Club bakes cookies, celebrates culture

MCT

A plate of rainbow cookies–just one examples of the plethora of baked goods the Italian Club made on Friday. (Heather Walsh/Newsday/MCT)

KATE BAKHTIYAROVA, Editor-in-Chief

With such a huge population of Italian students in the school, it’s no surprise that students will jump on every opportunity they can get to celebrate–even if it’s something like a cookie decorating party, which the Italian Club hosted after school on Dec. 5.

Armed with recipes and an overwhelmingly fruitful array of ingredients, the club got to work in the chefery room. After three hours of baking, socializing (in Italian, of course), and general fun-having with Signora Fini-Sanson, students emptied their ovens and filled trays with diverse baked goods– pretzels, biscotti, stained glass cookies, galore! A sweet feast reserved to those who love to celebrate.

But all cookie baking aside, why is it so important to embrace heritage and tradition? “It’s my culture,” said Italian 5 student Julianna Kocsis.

“This is an Italian community. Of course I want to connect to my family heritage,” added Chrissy Evangelista, another Italian 5 student.

And connecting they did. If there’s any group of people that can teach Mayfield la famiglia with open arms, it’s the Italian Club. Count on this club to do a great job at fulfilling its purpose: to celebrate, and teach about, Italian culture. Whether you’re Italian or not, you’re sure to have fun and learn something new.

Be on the lookout for more Italian Club events in the future– they’re always looking for new ways to celebrate. Come to a meeting and see for yourself.

That being said, that Italian Club isn’t the only one offering an open invitation. On the topic of language clubs, come support the French Club on December 16 at 6 pm for Mochas and Manicures!  For only 10 dollars, receive a fabulous cup of hot coffee and some holiday nail designs painted by Madame Burich, who is incidentally a professional manicurist and semi-professional mocha maker.