Mayfield students give “A Million Thanks”

MCT

Soldiers salute as the National Anthem is played during Fort Jackson’s annual Veterans Day wreath laying ceremony, Thursday, Nov. 7, 2013, in Columbia, S.C. (Gerry Melendez/The State/MCT)

KATE BAKHTIYAROVA, Editor-in-Chief

Tis the season to be jolly, thankful, and surrounded by friends and family.

While the students and staff of Mayfield get ready to bundle up for winter break, the same cannot be said for all citizens of our nation– particularly, those out in service protecting it. Although we all pay tribute to the armed service in subtle ways, sometimes it’s easy to forget to go above and beyond.

Luckily, history teacher Ryan Pubentz is here to remind.

In the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving break, Pubentz introduced his classes to A Million Thanks, an organization that collects letters to be sent to our military– active, reserve, and veterans — regardless of whether they are serving at home, abroad, or recovering from injury at the hospital.

The organization has sent over 6.7 million letters. Pubentz set a more humble goal for his students: 100 letters.

Mayfield students took the challenge and ran with it. When Pubentz left for Cincinnati to make the annual drop off, he brought with him over 130 letters. Several students, including CC Hunt, Annabella Farone, and Delaney Canfield, contributed several letters. Others like Alexis McCalligan and Caroline Mazina extended the challenge beyond Pubentz’s classroom and collected several letters from students in other classes.

One can only imagine the lit look on the face of the letter receiver when Pubentz presented him with dozens of stuffed, sentimental letters. Perfect for the holidays.

Of course, this isn’t some extra credit assignment. Students went out of their way simply for the sake of good deed. “It’s important to thank the armed forces. They’re risking their lives for us and sacrificing so much to assure that we can have our freedom,” said senior Taylor Abounader, who contributed a letter of her own. “A simple thank you is such a small gesture, but it can really lift their spirits, especially when the troops have been away from their families and homes.”

Wise words for a high school student, huh? And there’s plenty where that came from. Every single letter is laced with the same kind of poignant understanding. Although the messages in the letters may have been generic, the emotions were undoubtably genuine.

“It is so great to see so many young people take time of of their day to give thanks to the men and women who protect this country,” said Pubentz. “It’s easy to look past something like this. People are always saying that this generation “doesn’t get it.”

The students of Mayfield have clearly proven that they understand the bigger picture.”

For more information on A Million Thanks, please visit http://www.amillionthanks.org/send_a_letter.php#sendletter.