Mayfield clubs join to host Breakfast with Santa

Students help kids craft popsicle stick ornaments. Photo by Kate Bakhtiyarova

KATE BAKHTIYAROVA, Editor-in-Chief

In the spirit of the holidays, four of Mayfield’s largest clubs joined forces last Saturday, Dec. 13 to put on the annual Breakfast with Santa event.

Members of Key Club, Cat’s Cabinet, Student Council, and National Honor Society arrived as early as 8 a.m. to transform the cafeteria into a winter wonderland. By the time adults and their children arrived at 10 a.m., the scene had transformed into one of storybook proportions with columns and walls laced with colors and lights.

A cheerful holiday playlist roared in the background as a bubbly Santa, played by senior John Neff, sat in his picturesque corner posing for Polaroid pictures taken by his elf assistants, seniors Katie Milenius and Vicky Daher.

After they had their picture taken, children of all ages were invited to grab a bite at the buffet of holiday baked goods or participate in any one of the ten craft stations club members set up. Activities included popsicle stick ornament decorating, candy cane reindeer making, face paint, cookie decorating, marshmallow snowman construction, and more.

“It’s great to see the kids come out and enjoy Christmas. We love helping them decorate and have fun,” said Jeesoo Kim, president of Key Club.

Each club took the responsibility to man a few tables. While Cat’s Cabinet ladies painted beautiful winter designs on children’s faces, Key Club members helped dip pine cones in glitter to create festive Christmas tree ornaments.

“Key Club is happy to participate in this event year after year,” said Stephanie Lamb, Key Club vice president.

“It’s fun and festive,” added NHS president Danny Wilson.

A number of Mayfield staff members brought their families to the event. Some notable visitors included Eric Frei, Laila Discenza, and Jeff Legan and their families.

As always, the event provided holiday spirit for Mayfield children, students, and staff members.