Longo, Guerrini potential MLB draft picks

Ray+Guerrini+%2842%29+looks+towards+the+pitcher+prior+to+an+at+bat.+Photo+from+%40MHSwildcatbsb+Twitter+account.+

Ray Guerrini (42) looks towards the pitcher prior to an at bat. Photo from @MHSwildcatbsb Twitter account.

Jared Serre, Chief Editor

With the impending MLB Draft taking place on June 9-11, some former Mayfield Wildcats are anxious to hear their name called.

The MLB Draft consists of 40 rounds with a total of around 1200 senior high school students and college students being selected. Per rankings, Mayfield alumni Mitch Longo and Ray Guerrini are potential candidates for selection.

Longo, a member of the class of 2013, signed with Ohio University. Finishing his junior season, Longo finished with a batting average of .360. He had 77 hits, three of which were home runs, in addition to his 22 RBI.

His 2016 performance was a compliment to his 2015 campaign as he was named Mid-American Conference Player of the Year following his sophomore season.

Guerrini, a member of the class of 2012, recently wrapped up his redshirt sophomore season at West Virginia University in Morgantown, West Virginia. In this past season, Guerrini started 34 games at catcher and was named to the Academic All Big-12 Second Team.

Simultaneously, Guerrini hit three home runs, nine doubles, and 21 RBI. His 19 runs scored tied for sixth on the team.

Come the second weekend in June, many will be tuned in to see if more Mayfield alumni will follow in the footsteps of the late Michael Diebolt, who was selected by the Detroit Tigers in 1997.