The Official Newspaper of Mayfield High School

The Paw Print

Opinion: NFL players continually cry for more money

Keep smiling: With a salary of $20 million per year, Drew Brees is the highest paid player in NFL history.

Official NFL website

Official NFL website

Fadi Rached, Guest Writer

Doctors save lives, our president runs the country, what do NFL players do? They entertain, purely entertain, yet NFL players are paid millions a year and still cry for more.

I’m outraged seeing NFL player Le’Veon Bell crying for even more after being offered crazy unimaginable amounts of money! Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports wrote in early September, “Pittsburgh significantly sweetened the pot for him several times during negotiations — giving him $18 million by next March […] and still, it was not enough to close the deal.”

Of course, there’s an obvious problem here. NFL players are being paid in a year what most people won’t see in their whole lives, and they are still demanding more!

Even the head coach for the Mayfield Football team agrees that the paychecks for NFL players are just way too high, as Ross Bandiera said, “NFL players need to donate as much as they can and help the community that they are involved with, especially the lower income portions of the community.”

Megan County of Neiuindependent wrote in late February, “In a time when many Americans are struggling to make mortgage payments, student loan payments and find good employment, it sometimes becomes frustrating to hear about someone who makes millions playing a game demand more money and then get it.”

With 46.7 million people in the below the poverty line, in just the US itself, it’s outrageous to see what these “entertainers” make. Bandiera said, “Obviously the amount of money that all professional Athletes make is ludicrous”

It’s disgusting to see what Doctors make compared to NFL players. Elijah Harrison, a football player and band representative, said, “I believe that doctors deserve more than NFL players because doctors are saving lives, while NFL players just provide entertainment.”

Teachers make on average $55,000 a year. Harrison said, ”Teachers shape the future doctors, athletes, and teachers, so I think they deserve to be paid more.”

What about the very person who runs this country? Tulsi Patel from the Daily Herald wrote, “Our president earns a yearly salary of $400,000, and he runs our country […] paying an athlete $13.5 million for a single year is just overpriced.”

Instead of donating portions of their wealth to a charity of some sort, many NFL players have chosen to spend their money irresponsibly Harrison said, “NFL players should participate in charities, volunteer and donate to Hurricane Harvey relief funds.”

I probably wouldn’t be writing the article if the majority of NFL players would use their excessive wealth for a proper cause. Patel wrote, “Athletes get millions of dollars worth of sponsors. That money could be used for someone in the more poverty-filled locations of the world.”

Although most NFL players don’t use their money responsibly, I must give credit where credit is due. JJ Watt’s Harvey raised over $37,000,000 for Hurricane Harvey relief. Harrison said, “Hurricane Harvey was near and dear to Watts home, and it was a great thing for him to do.”

The doctors and teachers are the people who deserve millions a year, not NFL players. Bandiera said, “There are more important jobs in the world today than professional football and professional athletes in general.”