Make 2018 a year to remember with these tips

Photo from Pixabay.

Tarun Ravi, Staff Writer

The new year 2018 is finally upon us and it begs the question: what will you change in your life to have a better and more successful year?

In my opinion, the three things you should have are a positive attitude and outlook, a good self-image and adequate preparation to meet any opportunity that may come.

Let’s start with a positive attitude and outlook.  Freshman Yash Verma said, “If you have a bad attitude, you are not gonna enjoy it and if you don’t enjoy it, you will not be good at it.  You have to be passionate about what you are doing to be successful at it.

English teacher Nick Somich thinks having a positive attitude is “very important because not everything goes to plan.  So one’s ability to cope and overcome a challenge is really reflected by a positive attitude,” he said.

We should always look on the bright side of life and move on without getting stuck as that can lead to our downcome. Even when everything looks for the worse, just get up and keep moving and things will get better.

The second thing needed to be successful is a good self image.  Many people declare themselves as failures and don’t even try anything.  If you don’t try anything, how will you be successful?

Biology teacher Kristy Palmeri said, “ It is important to have confidence and not to compare yourself with others as that can make you feel self- conscious.”  

Just remember that no one is 100% happy.  The person you are comparing yourself to will have his/her own problems, so there is no reason for you to feel inferior to anyone. Everyone is the same.

Sophomore Radzivon Savachkin said, “You are the only one who can truly encourage yourself!”  

You are the only person who can push yourself forward to be successful so just as you trust other people and things, this year make it a goal to trust yourself as well.

Have you heard the quote “ Success is when preparation meets opportunity”? That’s the third and final thing which I think is needed to be successful.

We need to be prepared for any opportunity that may arise. As students, we have a lot of things going on such as sports, academics, and arts, so one thing which I am sure everyone would like to know is how to be prepared for it.

Somich said the best way to study is to “work in small doses as it has proven to be more effective because the brain is only able to focus for so long without a break and comprehend so much in a dose.”

Palmeri agrees with Somich and said, “Work a little bit everyday and don’t procrastinate.  Find the strategy that works best for you.”

Savachkin said, “ If you want to excel, you should not get distracted by anyone including yourself or use of technology. Be mindful about managing your time.“

Verma’s advice is to “work in a comfortable spot but not too comfortable because you may fall asleep and also manage your time better.”

Try to manage your time better and work in small doses without distractions to maximise your outcome. Never put things to the last date and work in a place where you feel comfortable. If you follow these tips, I guarantee that you will have a good year of good preparation and success.

There are a lot of other things that play a part in having a good year, as Somich named motivation as worthwhile.  He said motivation is necessary for success as it drives a person forward toward their goal or dream.

Palmeri also said, “Perseverance, patience and understanding [are] necessary to be successful as the best things in life are not the easiest so you need to give constant amount of effort to realize you goal and you need patience and understanding with that to your mistakes.  

Verma agrees that a lot of effort is needed to be successful and said, “Perseverance and determination is necessary because without those traits, if something is too hard, you will just give up”.

Last, Savachkin thinks that “inspiration and optimisticity about the future is needed to be successful.”

So, now that you know how to make 2018 a better year, go out and make difference. Good luck!