The Paw Print

Opinion: Trump acts like Grinch with threats of shutdown

Back to Article
Back to Article

President Trump is so determined to keep his campaign promise of building a wall that he's threatened to shutdown the government.  However, his campaign promise was that Mexico would build the wall.

President Trump is so determined to keep his campaign promise of building a wall that he's threatened to shutdown the government. However, his campaign promise was that Mexico would build the wall.

Gage Skidmore, Wikimedia Commons

Gage Skidmore, Wikimedia Commons

Gage Skidmore, Wikimedia Commons

Sasha Borshev, Guest Writer

President Donald Trump is threatening a government shutdown. After not agreeing with Congress, Trump is wasting time and money on the decision of whether or not to agree with the Democrats on their $1.3 billion plan- or to shut down the White House entirely right before the holidays.

The kicker? While Trump is conveniently exempt from unpaid leave, thousands of other government employees and those who depend on governmental aid are doomed to wait until further notice. Jennifer Earl of Fox News said, “Everyone loses from the government shutdown.”

The impending holiday season negates the shutdown even more. Sorry, kids, but if mom or dad works in the government, Santa might be running late until the shutdown is over- or their paychecks come through. Lucy Mascaro of AP News said, “About half the workers would be forced to continue working without immediate pay, others would be sent home.”

Trump’s shutdown decision is not only careless, but futile. He doesn’t even have the votes from his own party. Mascaro said, “The president is insisting on $5 billion for the wall along the southern border with Mexico, but he does not have the votes from the Republican-led Congress to support it. Democrats are offering to continue funding at current levels, $1.3 billion, not for the wall but for fencing and other border security.”

Moreover, Trump is asking for nearly three and a half times as much money- $5 billion- than the United States is spending now on the wall. Whatever happened to Trump’s shining 2016 campaign motto? Mascaro said, “During his 2016 presidential campaign, Trump promised that Mexico would pay for the wall.”

Trump’s request is also extremely untimely. The call to drastically increase the wall money would, undoubtedly, change funding for other departments. Kathryn Watson of CBS News said, “Congress already approved funding this year for about 75 percent of the government’s discretionary account for the budget year that began Oct. 1.”