Wildcat Sport and Fitness competes with big gyms for business

The indoor track is one of many features of Wildcat Sport and Fitness.
Photo by: Official Mayfield Village Website

The indoor track is one of many features of Wildcat Sport and Fitness. Photo by: Official Mayfield Village Website

ALLIE RUS, Guest Contributor

Wildcat Sport and Fitness competes for business with other fitness centers in the area by offering many different classes for various age levels.

Since opening in fall 2013, on the campus of Mayfield High School, Wildcat Sport and Fitness (WSF) is operated by the parks and recreation departments of Mayfield Heights and Mayfield Village.

The number of patrons using the fitness center has increased due to the facility’s low cost.

For an individual between the ages of 13-65, it is $32 for a yearly membership. For families it is $105/year and for senior citizens the cost is $12/year. For a one time use of the facility, it costs $5.

Patrick Schneider, manager at Wildcat Sport and Fitness, believes the low rate at WSF aids in the increase of patrons at the facility.

He said, “We’ve actually been stealing a lot of people from [other gyms] because our rates are so low… compared to most facilities where they are charging $39 a month, [which adds up to] over $400 a year.”

For instance, at Planet Fitness in Richmond Heights, the minimum membership plan has a rate of $10/month. The cost to join Planet Fitness for a year is over double what WSF charges.

Another factor that brings in business for WSF includes the 3 court gym space, indoor track, yoga room, weight and cardio room, and the pool.

Mayfield Graduate Rachel Rus is a lifeguard at WSF and believes the pool brings in many customers. Most workout facilities don’t have pools for patrons to use.

She said, “Since I’ve started working at Wildcat Sport and Fitness, I have noticed an increase in lap swimmers as well as non-lap swimmers. I think one reason for this increase is the number of pool classes available to patrons.”

For example, Wildcat Sport and Fitness offers Youth Learn-to-Swim classes, Deep Water Exercise for Adults, and Aquacise.

Swim lessons at WSF cost residents $42 for a 6 week session. This price is drastically cheaper than the local YMCA that charges $75 for residents to take swimming lessons at their facility.

Science teacher Polly Canfield worked at the front desk at WSF last summer. She explained how dedicated some patrons are about coming to swim each morning.  “There is definitely a faithful group of customers that come to swim,” Canfield said.

The classes that WSF offers are a big aspect of how WSF competes with other big athletic facilities.

Schneider said, “We’re trying to offer more equipment, trying to offer different kinds of fitness classes, from youth to toddler to senior programs and even adult programs. So we’re trying to keep up with the daily trend of ongoing programs that other fitness centers are going through.”

Some of these classes include Fun with Fitness, Gentle Yoga, Beachbody Morning Fit Club, and Zen.

Schneider believes these classes draw in many different types of customers for WSF. This influx of new customers helps WSF gain more business.

Sophomore Alex Przyrowski took a lifeguarding class at WSF and is now a Red Cross certified lifeguard. She said, “The class was a good experience, and I hope to become a guard at Wildcat Sport and Fitness soon. I’m glad that Wildcat Sport and Fitness offered this class to the public.”

Since opening, WSF has offered a place for community members to exercise. For Canfield, her favorite part of the facility is “seeing people from the community in a different capacity.”