Spanish Club plans changes for next year

Oscar+Sarmiento+proudly+hangs+the+Mexican+flag+in+his+classroom.++

Photo by Mikayla Rogers

Oscar Sarmiento proudly hangs the Mexican flag in his classroom.

Mikayla Rogers, Guest Writer

Spanish club at the mayfield High School plans on making many revisions.

Oscar Sarmiento, club adviser, has one goal of the Spanish Club that he would like to achieve. He said, “Just like any other club that we have in our school, the objective is to just give students a chance to, in this case, learn more about the language and the culture.”

According to Sarmiento the Spanish Club does a lot now but would like to do more. Sarmiento said, “So many things that we do is we take trips, we might go to the museum, we might even go just to a restaurant, we might even invite professional chefs, for example, and they can teach us how to cook specific foods that are eaten in Spanish speaking countries, and then in that case you getting to know the culture and the language.”

Though the club is doing well according to the advisers, Sarmiento wants to really take it to another level. Sarmiento said, “I want to do more of the culture, for example going to, well Mr. Deaton he’s actually about to do a trip going to act out the ‘Lion King’ in Spanish, in front of elementary students, and so I wanna do something similar, but i would like to do it more live, so that the students are able to be apart of it.”

Sarmiento, who answers to the nickname “Profe,” wants to have his students and members of Spanish club not only really get to know and love the language, but the culture. Sarmiento said, “They don’t know how to dance salsa, merengue, conga, so many rhythms are apart of our culture. We have professional dancers, that I know in Cleveland, I know a lot of people that do it for schools, if were able to bring them for one day, maybe even we can learn in the spanish club and we open it up to the whole Spanish classes, where we teach them.”

Sarmiento explains though that, he still needs full reign to be able to figure out exactly how these new ideas will come to life. Sarmiento says, “ I don’t know exactly, how much money we have, how much money we can spend, how much money we can ask for, but in terms of dates, we wanna do something in September.”

To Spanish communities, September is a very important month. The month really represents independence. Sarmiento said, “The Spanish Club has to do something. Hopefully it’s gonna be an international dance, maybe music, food, where we just give food away, but we tell them what’s it’s about.”

Spanish Club member Lillie Edwards thinks the club really gives the language a better representation. Edwards said, “ Spanish club and Spanish class were two very different things for me, Spanish class is more pressure to get an A, and with the club you can just enjoy yourself around your peers.”

Edwards believes that part of her liking to Spanish Club is it’s relaxed factor. Edwards said, “ If you can’t show up to a certain event or meeting, they don’t really question it, or make a big deal and that’s what i like, i think that’s a factor the club should try and keep even with the changes.”

Francisco Raymundo who is fluent in Spanish and a member of Spanish Club would also like to explore the culture side of the Language. Raymundo said, “I already know the language, I would really like to discover more about the background of everything.”

Raymundo also thinks that adding even more to the club will make it more appealing to the students. Raymundo said, “ I feel that doing more fun and interactive things, like trips and etc. would draw more people in. Were kids, we get motivated to do stuff if it sounds fun.”

Sarmiento and the advisers of Spanish Club are going to be making many new interactive changes for the upcoming 2018-2019 school year.