The Paw Print

Focus mentors help out elementary schools

Back to Article
Back to Article

Past Wildcat Focus Mentors interacting with the elementary kids to help them evolve as a person and a student.

Felecia Evans

Felecia Evans

Felecia Evans

Emily Steffey, Staff

The Wildcat Focus mentors not only contribute to the mentoring of 9th graders, but the mentors have traveled year after year supporting elementary students as well.

Tina Monastero the leader of Wildcat Focus has been setting up this event with the elementary kids for three years at Lander and two years at Millridge.

Monastero said, “I wanted the mentors to build relationships with the kids in Millridge or Lander to show that your hard work pays off. Then hopefully someday the kids will be in high school and be able to see what the mentors were explaining.”

The mentors attend Millridge and Lander elementary schools to have one on one times with the kids to support the student in ways they will appreciate in following years.

Senior John Razzante has been a Focus mentor for two years. He and Monastero said the the goal of going to the schools is to encourage the kids to continue their passion and to look up to the mentors.

Razzante said, “We aren’t there just to teach school lessons. We teach them life skills. Not being afraid to open up and be who they are is something they will take for the rest of their lives.”

Not only do the mentors set out the goal of influencing them positively, Monastero believes they teach valuable life lessons.

She said, “We align a lesson with the them that is going on at the school that particular week. The year before we had done a theme on superheroes so then we talked about those qualities they will need to be a superhero.”

Senior Maria Regas joins Razzante as a two-year Focus mentor and has devoted her time with the elementary schools.

Regas said, “I believe that it helps the kids to have someone to relate to. It has a positive effect on the kids and I feel like it gives him someone to look up to. They want to be just like us!”

Monastero agreed with Regas and feels that the elementary kids listen and comprehend because they look up to the older students.
Monastero said, “Everything that you do is exciting and they want to do and they look up to you where as the 9th graders don’t fully get the role of mentors.”

The mentors enjoy giving the kids this experience because it is something different from the 9th graders.

Regas said, “I love being surrounded by little kids! It’s also super fun to be surrounded by them! It allows the mentors to get a breath of fresh air.”

The elementary kids are looked at much differently than high schoolers and simply being at an elementary school is exciting to many.

Monastero said, “It gives the kids an idea of something to work towards. The most rewarding thing Is the mentors get to start their education there also finish it there.”

Emily Steffey, Staff Writer

Emily Steffey is a staff member of The Paw Print.

Steffey is a junior involved in Girls Varsity Swimming. She enjoys being with her teammates and going...